The benefits of using Caldwell Penn

  • Saves time
  • Compliance

Prefer to leave it to the experts?

Schedule a brief, no obligation call with our team today

Schedule your discovery call


Why should I prepare a CIS return?

It's a UK statutory requirement

If you are a contractor and you hire subcontractors to undertake any of the following work:

  • preparing the site, e.g. laying foundations and providing access works 
  • demolition and dismantling
  • building work
  • alterations, repairs and decorating
  • installing systems for heating, lighting, power, water and ventilation
  • cleaning the inside of buildings after construction work

then it is a statutory requirement that you deduct tax from your subcontractors pay and prepare a CIS return on a monthly basis for each tax month.


How do I prepare a CIS return?

Let Caldwell Penn do the hard work for you

  • We have a team of in-house tax experts with vast detailed knowledge of the latest tax legislation who will prepare your CIS returns, ensuring that your business is fully compliant.
  • Your CIS return will be submitted electronically to HMRC on time and hassle free, with the only thing left for you to do is make sure you pay HMRC the required tax, pay your subcontractors the tax deducted amounts and make us aware of any new subcontractors you hire. It's that simple.
  • The team will also deal with any HMRC enquiries on your behalf leaving you with one less thing to worry about.   

What are the benefits?

Staying compliant without the stress

  • We will give you the confidence that your company is compliant with all legislation and that your subcontractors are being paid the correct amounts.
  • We will free up your time allowing you to concentrate on the more important day-to-day running of your business. 

Frequently asked questions

What is the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)?
What are contractors and subcontractors?
What are the responsibilities of a contractor and subcontractor?
How do I register as a contractor and subcontractor?
What type of construction work falls under the Construction Industry Scheme?
What is the Domestic Reverse Charge?
When does the Domestic Reverse Charge come into effect?
What is an 'End User'?
What is an 'Intermediary Supplier'?

COPYRIGHT © 2021 CALDWELL PENN LIMITED   |   Company Reg Number: 03872209   |   ICAEW - Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales: C005061064