Part Qualified ACA or ACCA Audit and Accounts
Location – Farnham, Surrey
Start date – ASAP
We are looking to recruit a talented and experienced Senior to join our team in Farnham.
Reporting jointly to the Head of Audit and Compliance and Head of Accounts, the role will involve:
- Planning audits, including undertaking risk assessment, preliminary analytical review and preparation of a detailed audit work plan
- Supervising the work of more junior team members, including providing training and assistance as required
- Determining sample sizes for audit tests
- Tailoring audit plans to individual clients
- Undertaking audit testing on a sample basis
- Ensuring audit procedures are followed meticulously
- Completing sections of audit files
- Taking responsibility for audit assignments from start to finish
- Ensuring audit work is completed on a timely basis and within budget
- Undertaking audit work on going concern and subsequent events
- Completing accounts disclosure checklists
- Ensuring all issues are brought to the attention of the Manager or Responsible Individual
- Preparing statutory financial statements and supporting electronic working paper files, including supporting reconciliations and analysis
- Drafting corporation and business tax computations
- Providing coaching and support to more junior team members
- Assisting the Head of Accounts or Accounts Manager with updating accounts files, processing more complex adjustments, resolving manager, partner and tax review points
- Contacting clients to request additional information and resolve queries
- Completing assignments as required within budget, providing explanations for variances
- Managing jobs from start to completion, which depending on the job may include sending draft accounts to clients, liaising with Tax Managers to follow up/assist with tax reviews and preparing final accounts for signature
- Provide training or assistance to clients as required
The role will be based in our Farnham office, however on occasion you will be required to work in our Bramley office or at client’s premises.
About the firm
Caldwell Penn is a growing firm of Chartered Accountants, Registered Auditors and Chartered Tax Advisers, established in January 1993.
Our main office is based in Bramley, near Guildford. In 2014, we opened a second office just outside Farnham, Surrey in order to allow us to tap into a slightly different geographical market, and grow a client portfolio based in this office.
We believe in developing long term working relationships with our clients, which allows us to help them to plan for and meet their future personal and business objectives.
The firm provides a full range of services to our 800 or so clients. These include year end and management accounts, audit, business planning, company secretarial, corporate tax, personal tax, outsourcing solutions, specialist tax and corporate finance.
We have grown significantly over the past few years, and we are now a 25 strong team, with firm commitments from the management to grow in number steadily each year.
We have a relaxed culture and believe there is a life outside of work. We do not expect staff to work long hours, however when deadlines have to be met, the staff involved work extra hours as required in order to get their work completed in time.
You will be a part qualified ACA (Professional exams completed) or ACCA (Fundamentals exams completed) and we would expect you to have a minimum of 2 years work experience in an Accountancy Practice.
You will also have a good level of Audit experience, and be confident working independently and supervising junior staff. You will have experience of preparing the planning and completion sections with little or no assistance.
You will have good experience of preparing statutory year end accounts (ideally with experience of FRS102 and FRS105), using an accounting software package, along with preparing supporting working papers in a paper-based or electronic format. Training will be given to use our electronic working paperfiles, however you will need to be able to adapt your existing skills to complete the work.
It is essential that after a brief initial training period, you are able to work confidently and independently in a time-pressured environment. As the role will report to two teams, you will need to be able to manage your workload effectively.
With good communication skills, you will be highly motivated and able to work well either on your own or as part of a team. Being proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook is essential.
It is a requirement of the role that you will need to have a full, driving licence and car. Free parking is available on site. Ideally you would live within a half hour drive (approximately 20 miles) from our office in Farnham.
The salary will be dependent on experience and study package requirement. As part of the package, we may be able to provide support towards ACA or ACCA studies with BPP under a training agreement.
Our regular working day is 7.5 hours, with an additional hour for lunch, although you will be required to work additional hours as necessary in order to complete your workload. Overtime is not paid. There is a basic 20 working days holiday per annum in addition to the usual public holidays, however this increases by 1 day a year up to 25 days.